lundi 15 août 2011

Saint-Eynard, Saint-Eynard, Saint-Eynard

Last Sunday I had planned a hike with a swim in a mountain lake, but the weather forecast, as well as the weather in the morning, was all but encouraging for that: dark grey clouds, rain, storms by the end of the day... So the hike got canceled and I started reading instead. However by noon the sun was shining and the mountains were gleeming, rid of any clouds. So I decided to head out to Saint-Eynard, but not a simple climb there, rather climb it three times in a row, still in this idea to train for multiple ascents in a row, like what will happen at the TDS.


So after a quick and light lunch I headed out with a few bars stashed in my waterpack (as well as a rain jacket). I didn't feel like running even the 2 first flat kilometers, so walked to La Tronche in the hot noon sun. Starting at noon is not such a good idea in the middle of summer, and I quickly went reaaaally hot, navigating between castle-houses with bbq smells and swimming pools... I got the poles out in the "chemin des orties", a narrow shortcut between nettles to skip some bends on the road. I had a hard time in the ascent, being happy when reaching road sections because they were less steep (cars don't deal well with 25% inclines...). I had to stop at the "Vierge noire" for a break, catching my breath and eating an almond bar. Then started again, and by the time I reached the Col de Vence (in 1h30, not too bad with no running) I was swimming in sweat.

From the Col I immediately started the first ascent, completed in 46mn, trying not to put myself in the red zone at all. There were not many hikers yet, and I was all alone at the top for a Mule bar. Knowing I would be back with more time later, I didn't stay too long to watch the view, and ran straight down, in 20mn, passing many hikers climbing now. Not even a break at the barrier at the bottom of the track and I started straight up again, which I regretted ^^ so did some stretches a few meters further up. Some hikers I had seen going up on my way down recognize me "encore vous !", but most of them just greet me again with a "bonjour". Which is good because I don't recognize them either (not that I had much time to see them when flying down past them ^^).

On the way up I am passed by one guy quickly walking up with what I think is a paraglider in his backpack. Confirmation a bit later when I pass him unfolding his sail at the caves just under the final stairs. This time I reach the top in 52mn and take a bit of a longer break, seeing the paraglider go down in a record time, and watching all the hikers I had passed (down and then up) finally arrive at the top. Among them is a big group of nice hikers in their 40s or 50s, who I talk with a bit. They ask me to take photos for them, and also ask how long it would take them to reach the Sappey on the GR ("we know for you it's 5mn" :-) ). I also message Rémi to join me for the "a quiet hike to Saint-Eynard" (not mentioning it was my 3rd one... ^^). I also eat a second Mule bar while waiting for the reply, and when he is ok, I run down to the col to meet him there, in 20 mn again.

Once at the bottom of the track, I run further down to the fountain to drink, refill water, and have a sort of shower in the cold water, trying to let my t-shirt dry on a bench, while waiting for Rémi. When he gets there the sky is already quickly getting darker... The ascent is quite slow (my fault...) in about 55mn. There are no hikers going up anymore, we are passed by two young guys walking real fast. Short break sitting down at the top for a 3rd Mule bar, before Rémi suggests going to the Fort, which involves going down and up again in a scree... Hard and steep... The restaurant is now open (true that last time I was there for a drink after Dent de Crolles + the crest was in June...). We didn't stay long there, the sky is really threatening now, and people at the restaurant have a car waiting at the parking at the top, while we don't... So quickly back to the summit (down and up the scree again), and quicky run down before the rain (25mn, not my fault ^^). We still catch some drops of rain through the forest before the bottom, but that's only refreshing.

Regarding my state, I couldn't climb anymore, the scree to the fort and back really killed what was left of energy in me. On the way down my feet started burning from all the rubbing. Other than that, muscles were fine going down, but I was feeling a bit tired, and happy to hitch a car ride back home, saving me 7 or 8 km under the rain.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire